Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Back in the Game

I'm still not totally sure what happened to my stomach during the Xterra race.  I was sick for two more days, but am feeling better now.  I tried gluten free and that felt worse.  So instead of thinking of myself as lactose intolerant, I'm going to be allergic to dairy and see how that goes.  I'm thinking it may have been the frozen yogurt I had the night before the Xterra race that caused all my troubles.

Tonight I got back on my bike and tried to race.  It was a summer series race at the White Water Center.  There were 11 people in the Sport Men 45+ class that I race in, three girls.  I got a decent start, which means not last into the woods for me.  But then got held up on the single track for what felt like forever.  I was behind a guy and he was behind another girl.  And she would not let us pass until we hit the fire road, several minutes later.  I wasn't pedaling much and braking way too much.  It was pretty painful.

When we hit the fire road, I passed both of them and took off.  I felt pretty good, considering I forgot my camel back and was taking a few sips from my water bottle when I could.  I passed two guys in my class toward the end of my race and was feeling great.  But then about a 100 feet from the finish a little boy pulled out in front of me, and I had to swerve to avoid him and those two guys went by.  So I came in 6th.  I should have been 4th.

The poor little kid came and apologized after the race.  It was pretty cute.  Anyway, I'm just happy to be riding and racing again.   And glad my tummy can hold food.

No comments:

Post a Comment