Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sizzler Race

This morning, we had great cool weather for a 9am start at the Sizzler race.  Here's the female expert line up:


Can you tell Cliff Bar Giordana had a stacked field?


I got a good start and was in the lead for about a microsecond.  And then the girls with the big legs passed me like I was riding backwards.


Meanwhile, my biggest fan couldn't decide if he wanted to ride with pedals or stride.


He opted for the Strider, as usual.


And I enjoyed four laps on the trail.  When I pre-rode on Friday, it was dry and fast.  I was bunny hopping all the root piles.  Of course it poured on Saturday, so the course was brand new to me for the race.  I went into the woods third, but soon fell back to fourth.  I fought hard to get back to third but wasn't able to keep that lead for long.  Finally on the third lap, I got back in third place, and saw the girl in second not too far ahead.  So I gave it my all and got into second place towards the end of the third lap.


I was able to increase my lead in the last section and flew around the lake to start the fourth and last lap.  I was feeling really good, pretty confident that I could stay in second place.  A few minutes later, I got back into the single track and reached the slippery bridge they warned us of at the start.  I slowed down like I had the last three laps and a guy standing in the area directed me to ride around the bridge in the mud.  I declined, said I'm okay, and slipped right off the bridge...OUCH!  I got up, moaned and then realized my chain had fallen off.  After some tugging, I got it back on, and rode through my bruises.  I had lost a lot of time and new my lead was greatly diminished.

After a few minutes, the pain had subsided and I was pack up at pace.  Then all of the sudden, I got starving, not just hungry, but completely empty.  Oops.  All that jockeying back and forth and fighting in the woods ha made me forget to GU.  And now I felt like I didn't have time.  So I put my head down and just focused on finishing. 


And I did.  2nd place.  Woo Hoo.  At least one place on the podium was not Cliff Bar Giordana ;).


I was so hungry at the end, that I thought I was going to be sick.  I ate half a banana in one bite.  Yum!



Here we are at the end, friends, Dirt Divas, and competitors.  Always friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment