Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Apples to Oranges

Okay, I know this isn't a fair comparison.  But it's what I have to work with and worth while documenting to me.  So here goes.

Oh wait...  A little background, just in case:

Top Fuel 9.8 WSD is a carbon full suspension 26 inch bike that is women's specific. (~$5000)
X-Calibur is an aluminum hardtail 29er bike. (~$1500)

So here goes again.

Today I did two lap at Sherman Branch.  My first lap was on the Trek Top Fuel 9.8.  (Note that the first time I rode was last Friday at Sherman on the Gary Fisher X-Calibur.)  Immediately the TP felt really good.  I was low to the ground, smooth and felt like I could thread the front wheel through the trail like a needle.  The control was amazing.  I liked being lower to the ground.  The bike seemed to float along the bumpy trail and it cornered so tightly.  Rock gardens were not a problem.  Hill climbs were easy.  The bike felt great, other than a little elbow pain because it was half a size too small for me.

On my second lap, I did a quick switch to the GF X-Cal.  Right away, I felt like I was about 10 feet off the round and the front wheel was big and I had less control.  Within minutes I had better control of the bike, but was still bouncing around.  Being off the bike for so long during my recovery, I don't ride at 110% anymore, so on the hardtail I felt more bumps.  The XC climbed better and it cornered well, but overall I preferred the Top Fuel.

I know this isn't fair.  I'm comparing two different materials, carbon and aluminum, two different size bikes, totally different drivetrains, etc.  But this is what I have to go by now.  I would love to wait a few months to test ride more equivalent bike set ups and decide what I want to ride and race this year.  But I am bikeless now, and really want to configure a bike to fit me ASAP. 

So it comes down to this.  Being out of shape and having a weak right shoulder/arm, the full suspension bike seems like the right bike for me.  Now I just have to pull the trigger...

No comments:

Post a Comment