Monday, March 14, 2011

Finally A Race Report, Kind Of

This weekend kicked off the Southern Classic Series Mountain Bike Races.  Of course this year, because I'm coming off a long injury, they decided to run one of the longest courses first.  For years, since I've been racing this series, Uwharrie has always been the first race and the shortest course.  Not this year, my luck.

Saturday morning, my fellow Dirt Divas and I drove up to Danville, VA and pre-rode the Angler's Ridge race course.  Normally run in the middle of summer, the course was similar to the past few years (which I won), with some climbs becoming downhills and vice versa, nothing new, nothing super technical.  I had a very slow, very safe pre-ride following all my girlfriends. 

But could I do that three times tomorrow?  The expert women's race was three laps for 27.2 miles.  Yikes, that sounded like too much.  Could I hold on that long?  Would my shoulder start to hurt.

Oh what the heck, might as well try.  I attempted to sign up for the race Saturday afternoon, but they told me to register at the social that night.  Then at the social, they told me they forgot the registration paperwork and the race may be full.  So register online and pick up your number tomorrow.  I went online at the hotel and registration was closed.  Then my friend called Sunday morning and said she got an email that the race was full.  Oh well, guess I wasn't meant to race.  I took that as a sign. 

I put on my kit anyway and figured I'd ride a lap while my friends were racing.  I get to the race and the USA cycling official, Jim Smalley, nice guy, says I can still register, go ahead.  Okay, sure why not.  So I pay $45, ouch!, to ride my bike in the woods.


I wasn't able to wear my camel back.  It felt like the strap was rubbing right on the little washer in my shoulder.  I don't know how to drink from a bottle while I'm riding, but not having a choice, I figured I'd learn or just stop to drink. 

The start was delayed due to computer issues.  So instead of the usual staggered start, they bulked all the pro and expert men AND women together and said go.  10 seconds later, huge pile up on the gravel road.  Awesome!  I of course was still way in the back waiting to start pedaling.  I waited for the dust to clear, made sure I was in last place and then started my race, I mean slow, safe ride.

I saw the other girls in the far distance for a little while, but after we entered the single track, I put my head down and concentrated on my ride.  I kind of rode the entire race like I was pregnant again.  I rode hard and fast when it was super easy, but I took no chances on turns and downhills.  I can't fall for three more months right?

And I didn't.  No crashes, no falls, nothing.  It was a clean (well muddy) ride.  I kept repeating 'finish, don't get hurt' in my head all day.

After the second lap, an official pulled me over and made me stop.  I told him I have one more lap to do and after a few seconds of him staring at my number, he finally let me go.  Nice!  Of course then I went off so fast, I forgot to grab a new bottle of water...duh!

So I ran out of water a few miles into the 3rd lap.  A nice guy stopped and gave me a few sips of his.  And then a volunteer filled me up at a water station a few miles later.  I was also able to get Heed and water at another water stop at which the volunteer ladies gave me a long and detailed update on how the other girls were doing in the race.

Still I was dehydrated and under fueled.  My tummy grumbled the entire third lap and at mile four I had to stop because my vision was blurry.

Even with all that nonsense, I had so much fun.  I chatted with everyone that I passed (just a few) and passed me (a ton).  All the guys were so considerate, calling out passes so well.  I felt so safe, and so happy, so at home on the trails.  I really had a blast!  Even smiling almost three and a half hours later at the finish.


My pace was slow and that's okay.  I rode at a nice 12 hour endurance race pace.  I could have gone all day, with some more fuel of course.  It was so incredible to be back in the woods, yelling, laughing, screaming.  I was so happy.


I finished 4th, out of 5.  The fifth girl DNF'd.  I passed her at about mile 1 or 2.  My prize was $75 and a gas card, not bad for 4th.  That more than paid for the entire weekend, as I used Marriott points for the hotel and bartered a bed in my room for gas for our friend that drove. 

It was a free weekend away in the woods with great girlfriends (and Terry) and a little bike race.  Woo hoo!


On my drive home from my friend's house (that drove), I broke down a little and cried.  I know this seems silly.  But I really felt like I finally had my life back.  And for that I am greatful.

This was also my first night away from my little guy.  Boy was he missed.  Hopefully he'll be out there cheering for me next Sunday.


With more clothes on...

No comments:

Post a Comment