Friday, March 4, 2011

Oh peanut M&M halves, how I've missed you!

You know what that means right?  If I got to eat my favorite candy, I got to do my favorite thing!  Yes, I got to ride.  The Trek Store loaned me a Gary Fisher X-Caliber and I took it out for my first ride today.  Before I left the house, I rode around on the grass just to make sure I wasn't wasting my time.  I felt alright.

So I drove to Sherman Branch, a nice swoopy, curvy, 11 or so mile course about a half hour from my house.  It's been so long since I've ridden that I had to go through my checklist a few times: bike, gloves, shoes, helmet, gum.  Okay, go. 

At first I was tentative.  That first root was so big, the first rock looked enormous, and that first drop, OMG, this is gonna hurt.  You know what?  I was fine, no pain at all.  My shoulder is definitely weak.  I am out of shape, and I am not aggressive on my bike.  But I can ride.

I took it pretty easy in the beginning, only pushing it on the hills.  And oh how I've missed the hills.  I love climbing!  I just wish I never have to ride down.  About 3/4 of the way through the trail I crossed a small stream and then goofed up on a little rock garden.  Instinctively I turned my bike around to go back and try it again.  But then I thought this was silly.  It's my first ride, let it go and move on.  I couldn't do that.  So I rode back and tried it again.  I made it through, felt great, and sprinted the rest of the lap.  It felt so good.

BTW, the X-Cal was awesome, it cornered so well.  I was really impressed.  I'm so used to high end $8k carbon racing bikes and this is an aluminum 29er that retails for about $1700.  It was great and I loved it.

Time to order my team bike...

No comments:

Post a Comment