Wednesday, April 20, 2011

First Summer Series Race

We're so lucky here in Charlotte to have a great summer mountain bike race series  The series alternates between four parks on Wednesday nights for 16 races from April to September with a week off in between.  Tonight the series kicked off at Francis Beatty Park, or fancy baby park as we call it.

My new bike wasn't ready for it's first race.  I didn't have time to convert the tires to tubeless, or even cut down the handlebars.  I had barely ridden it.  And you know what they say, don't try anything new during a race.

To be fair, I used to take this series pertty seriously, hated to miss a race, and pre-rode the course each Tuesday religiously.  But after racing Sport my first year and Super Sport my second, and winning each class, there was no where to go.  So a few years ago I started racing with the Sport men.  It's fun and competitive, but not the same as racing against girls.

Anyway, so a new, not dialed in bike for this race is only half crazy.  And by half, I mean only my left handle bar end clipped a tree FOUR times, three on the first lap.  But hey, at least it wasn't my right shoulder.  And the high pressure in my tubed tires didn't really help me bouncing off trees either.

All my fault.  Still the 29er wheels cornered so well and flew up the little climbs.  I can't wait to get the bike dialed in.  The 6 Hours Grind on the Greenway in on Saturday and I'm still looking for a partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment