Friday, April 29, 2011

Mind Over Matter

Eight months and one day after I broke my shoulder on that silly drop at Catawba / USNWC, I was able to ride it.  I did two full laps and felt great.  The silly place that I fell has been on m mind a lot lately.  I'm riding again, I'm racing again, I'm even close to being allowed to fall again, but I haven't ridden at Catawba since the accident.  In between surgeries I went out there and couldn't do it.   Looked at the drop and freaked out.

Today started out the same.  I almost rode at Sherman instead, just to do something safe and easy.  But then my friend Elsa posted that she was heading at to Catawba to do two laps.  So I jumped on the opportunity to ride with someone and follow someone down that drop.  Maybe then I could do it.

Turns out Elsa wanted me to lead.  Okay, not what I had planned, but what the heck.  So we rode for about 10 minutes and headed up the rocky climb leading to the drop.  I told myself, if I make the climb, do the drop.  Then I said stop and look first.  Those two thought went back and forth the entire time we road.  I'm surprised I didn't slam into a tree with my head spinning like that.

Anyway, I made it up the climb, super easy, slowed down at the precipice of the drop, laughed and rolled it.  What I remember being so far down looked like about 3 inches with my new 29er wheels.  Then I yelled woo hoo and road happily with that checked off my list.

I know it sounds silly, but this was a huge step for me.  Oh and by the way, my new bike is so fast.  The hills at Catawba seemed to melt away.  I so love my new Superfly!

1 comment:

  1. Gospodi, Gospodi pomilui tebya dochka. Who are you going to be when you'll grow up?
    Love,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete