Saturday, April 23, 2011

Superfly Chicks

I found a great partner for the 6 Hour Grind on the Greenway race: Elsa Lee.  She also happens to have a GF Superfly Elite bike, just like mine.  It's a 15.5 too.  After hmm-ing and ha-ing over whether or not to race because of the muddy conditions, we registered the morning of the race.  This was my first duo race ever!  Since it was Elsa's first endurance event, everyone said I should let her do the first lap because it would be great experience.

Not only did Elsa get to battle all the guys at the start, but she also got to do the wet, slippery lap.  So that was a slow one.  By the time I did my first lap, the trail had dried out nicely.  I had a super fun fast lap.  The race was at a trail called Ann Springs.  There are only endurance races held at this trail, 6 hour and 12 hour races.  And since I always do them solo, I do my laps at an endurance pace.  This was the first time I rode this course at a sprint pace, or at least a sprint pace for me.

It was so much fun fast, so different, so smooth.  I love this course with speed.  I passed about 25 guys and a few girls on my first lap.  And after I finished up, I saw that we were in 2nd place by just a few seconds.  Wow, pretty cool considering we weren't even going to race just a few hours ago.  Can you tell I was pretty happy hanging out in the Mowery's tent after the first lap?


Elsa's 2nd lap was much faster than her first and we were still withing minutes of the first place team.  Isn't she cute?


After my 2nd lap, we finally made it to the top.  Now we just had two more laps to keep it up.  And we did.  With smile till the end, Superfly Chicks won the Duo Female category.


I had such a blast doing fast laps and then hanging out in the pits and chatting with friends and other racers.  And I couldn't have had a better partner.  Thanks Elsa!  I may have to do this duo thing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment