Sunday, May 1, 2011

Harbison Race

OMG, I had so much fun today.  I love, love, love my new bike.  And I felt so good too.

The whole family drove down to Columbia, SC for the Harbison race this morning.  It took us a little longer than expected to drive down, so we arrived a little late. Firs I had to get Jack all set for his ride.



Then I just had enough time to register, get dressed and ride to the line.  No warm up, but the sun was pretty hot.  I got a great start, 2nd place out of about 11 girls. 



At the top of he hill two girls passed me before we reached the single track, so now I was in 4th.  The course is super east, flowy, wide in may sections, and really fast.  I was loving it.  One girl missed a rooty climb a few miles in so I passed her.  Now I was in third.

A little while later, I had to tighten my helmet (one of the pitfalls of not warming up and adjusting everything prerace), and the girl that I passed, passed me back.  I passed about 5 guys in the next few miles and then we were onto Spider Woman.  This is the fun, hilly, rocky, tight, twisty, woop-de-doo part of the course.  I love it!  But just a few minutes in, my seat loosened and was knocked back and down, so the nose was way up in the air.  Ouch and yikes.  It didn't hurt when it happened, but it made it impossible to sit.

So I slowed down a bit to conserve energy knowing I would have to stand for the rest of the first lap and the entire second.  I still had an awesome race and loved the course.  The new bike climbs and corners like a dream.  And standing for most of the race made it a great workout.  It turns out I didn't need to slow down to conserve though.  I got through the race with no leg cramps and had plenty of energy left.  Oops!



Oh well, I'll get my seat fixed and give 110% next time.  Today I got 2nd which was good.  I was only about 4 minutes behind first.  If I hadn't broken my seat...who knows.  But it doesn't matter.  I had a blast.  I can't wait for the next race.

No comments:

Post a Comment