Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Bike Background

I was born in the Ukraine on January 8, 1973. My mom was trading goods on the black market and my dad was a student from the Afganni Air Force studying in Kiev when they met. In November of 1975 my mom and I emigrated to Redondo Beach, CA. My mom was big on health food and exercise so I started going to the gym with her when I was 8. I started running when I was 9. Strangely enough, I first learned how to ride a bike when I was 11 years old back in the village of Koresten on the same bike my mom and all her sisters rode when they were kids. I was a cool nerd in school and graduated from UCLA in 1995 with a Chemical Engineering degree. I kept up my fitness throughout my life with my greatest accomplishments being two marathons.

In February of 2005 I moved to Charlotte to be with a boy I met when I was 14. I missed the beach, the cool air, and the lack of bugs. Running in the cold winters and the hot summer humidity was not fun. And the gyms did not measure up. So that June, the boy suggested mountain biking. After a lot of bumps, bruises, blood, and scars, I really learned to tolerate riding.  That fall, I slipped on one wet root and put my bike away till next Spring.

Then one day in April 2006, I went riding by myself at the only course I knew, Francis Beatty Park, and there was a race starting. That changed everything. The race was amazing. I had never worked so hard. I breathed easier doing a marathon. Run races are you against yourself. This was different. I had never chased another girl. I had no skills but my lungs and legs took me as fast as I could go. It was such an incredible high I had never felt before. I was totally hooked. That summer I did the local races in the sport class (beginners laps were too short). In the winter of 2007, I moved up to Super Sport and by the end of the summer of 2007, I moved up to expert.

I took a break from racing, not riding, in 2008 to have a baby. I rode until 5 days before giving birth and was back on my bike 12 days after my son was born.  I rode a Ti hardtail 29er on trails through my entire pregnancy, and yes, Jack's fine!

In 2009 and 2010 I have raced in the expert class regionally and with the sport men locally.  My favorite races are the 6 hour endurance and 50 milers.  This past July I also competed in my first Xterra race which I loved.  Next year I hope to incorporate 4-5 Xterra races into my schedule.

Mountain bike racing has become my true passion and I'd love to share it with more people, especially women and young girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment