Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Physical Therapy Begins

Tuesday I had my first PT appointment.  Uh, what can I say.  It was weird.  Everyone in the waiting room was a bazillion years old and had trouble moving e-ver-e-thing!  Seriously they were pretty decrepit.  I'm not trying to be mean, sorry.  Here I am less than two weeks post surgery, helping people in and out of their chairs with one arm.

Anyway, the PT lady came recommended, seemed experienced, and was pretty and clean; important to me.  She was really pleased with my range of motion lifting my arm over my head and to the side.  No scar tissue at all.  But when it came to my rotator cuff, it was frozen solid.  So that was a bit scary.

I continue twice a week for the next month or so, passive PT only, where only the lady moves my arm.  I can't really say that with a two y/o I'm totally following doctor's orders, but I'm trying.

In my attempt to not run or bike for 12 weeks, I actually joined a gym this week.  That's so odd to me.  It's been almost 4 years since I've been a gym rat.  Although I have to admit I grew up in the gym.

I first joined Results in Torrance when I was 8.  It was bought out my Sports Connection.  Then I moved onto Gold's Gym until I got a good job and was able to afford the Spectrum Clubs in LA and Orange County before I moved to NC.

This week I joined Urban Active Fitness.  It's an awesome three story, cool, modern, and yes, clean gym; very reminiscent of the Spectrum Clubs in CA, just not as plush.

Riding the step-mill or stairway to hell as I affectionately call it, has totally lifted my spirits. I've even been doing squats, and tried biceps curls with both arms!  I know that sounds silly, but last week I was really down.  My weight was up, and I was hating life.  Now I'm going to the gym almost every day and feel so much better.  It's not mountain biking, but the sweat is so important. 

PT started and working on cardio at the gym. 2 weeks down, 10 to go.  I will ride again, I will race again...as soon as I get a new bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment