Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Spinning Might Be Good For Me

Today I took a spinning class for the first time in about four years.  Sad to say, it kicked my butt.  Just weeks ago I was ready to mountain bike for 50 miles and over five hours.  Today 40 minutes on a spinning bike in a gym wore me out.  Ouch!  That's embarrassing, but true.

The teacher was young, had great legs, and a really fake smile.  The musics was decent.  And the bikes have come a long way in a few years.  My new gym has Kaiser bikes with little computers displaying RPM, kcal, watts, and resistance.  I have to admit, it was nice having a gauge.

I remember when I started mountain biking, I was taking spinning classes 5-6 days a week.  Mountain biking required skills I didn't have, but the cardio part was so easy.  I was able to stand and cycle for most of the ride.  Now after years of only mountain biking and running, I'm not sure that I'm stronger.  I have more skills, but are my legs and lungs stronger?  Not sure.

So, wearing my rose colored glasses, I'm thinking spinning might be good for my mountain biking.  I guess we'll see when I get back on the real bike and race again....soon.  Well maybe not soon.

Today the doc said he'd like me to take 6 months off mountain biking.  What?!?  Oh, but I'm welcome to start road biking in 3 months.  Are you kidding?  I'm not a roadie and have no interest in playing in traffic.

I'm trying to stay positive.  My range of motion is weeks ahead of where it should be.  I'm back to my pre accident weight.  I'm working out every day and even lifting light weights with my right had.  Think good thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment