Tuesday, October 5, 2010

As Expected...

It was the worse.  After two x-rays, the doc confirmed that yes, I had broken the stitches that were holding the device and grafts together.  The stitches would have dissolved or broken normally around 12 weeks when the grafts would have been strong enough to take over.  At four weeks, they were not, thus the pain, the lifted bone, the loss of motion.  Awesome!

The doc was upset, but also disappointed.  'I told you to take it easy.'  'I know, I know, my daughters are 6 and 9.'  He wanted to brag about how well he did on my shoulder.  Such a perfect fix, so symmetrical, so smooth.  Darn, poor doc!

My choices...

1. Let it heal as it is, start PT again next week and see how things go for the next few months.  The downfall being mostly cosmetic as I will have the bump above my shoulder where the bone sticks out and back a bit (but not as bad as right after the accident) and I will have a slightly droopy shoulder (I'll try to post a pic when I can stop crying).  Oh yeah, and on the non cosmetic side, as I regain motion, the displaced bone may start to rub on another bone and cause severe pain requiring surgery again.  Goodie!

2.  Schedule another surgery.  This time he cannot do it through the scope as he has to dig out the device he installed, cut off some bone, and use the nuts and bolts method.  Yippie!

Such wonderful choices!  And what did I do to deserve this you ask???  Shuffle run, walk into a wall, pick up a huge 2 y/o?  Well the doctor thinks it's mostly the kid.  But in general that I overdid it.  Because I had no pain, and too much range of motion, I did too much, including lifting the baby when hubby returned to working from the office this past week.  Needless to say, he's working from home again now.

I am taking two weeks to think about it...letting all the info digest while trying to keep thoughts of cashing in my life insurance policy out of my head.

Advice, words of wisdom?  Ha ha!  I say this to my two readers.  Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment