Sunday, October 24, 2010

Neglect

I've been kind of absent for a while.  In my free computer time, I have been scouring the internet about shoulder separations, surgery, non surgery, screwed up surgery, riding after rehab, pain, etc.  So I've been neglecting my blog.

And what have I learned?  A good amount actually.  I've found that most people do not have surgery to correct a 3rd degree separation, whereas everyone who had a 5th degree did.  Of those with a 3rd degree that had surgery, everyone was going great.  Most said their repaired shoulder was much stronger than their other.  That made me sad, cuz I could have had that.  Instead I screwed my perfect repair up.

For those with a 3rd degree that let it heal naturally there was a mixed bag of results.  Some were fine, little pain, 90% strength and ROM.  Others ended up having surgery later due to pain,  loss of ROM, loss of strength, grinding, clicking, feeling of 'marbles' in their shoulder, etc.

I'm really torn.  The bills continue to pile up on my desk.  I called the insurance co and they confirmed that another surgery would be completely free to me, in fact he encouraged it.  How crazy is that?  But 12 more weeks of recovery when today I feel okay seems silly.  I hate that I have so little time to decide.

So I'm sticking with my plan of waiting the full 12 weeks post op and then testing my shoulder.  We'll see what the doc says on 11/19.  The PT lady thought my plan was a bit crazy, duh.  She said to tell the doc, and I will. 

Next week will be uneventful.  Still working on ROM.  The following week I finally move on to strengthening the area.  I am so looking forward to rebuilding some muscle.  The entire area surrounding my shoulder in atrophied from my trapezoid to my tri, bi, and chest muscles.

Otherwise I feel okay.  Still haven't forgiven myself to screwing up my perfect surgery, but I suppose that will come...in a few decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment