Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Crazy Plan

Only I could come up with this.  Are you ready?  Sitting down?  No food or hot liquids in your mouth?

Okay.

On November 26th I will be 12 weeks post op.  Done with PT, and fully recovered.  Or so they say.  That day I will be up North visiting family for Turkey Day, so not in a position to ride.  But who knows, I've rented mountain bikes in Aruba, so why not the northeast.

Anyway, I know the doc said he'd prefer that I take 6 months off from mountain biking, and start road biking at 12 weeks, but playing in traffic doesn't appeal to me.  And I need to know that my shoulder works on the trails.

So I'm thinking when I get home that first weekend in December, I'm going to go for a ride.  I plan to start on a gravel road / greenway for a warm-up and then hit some smoothish single track.  No downhills, or huge drops, but definitely some roots and rock, just to see how the shoulder reacts and feels.

I know this seems dangerous and perhaps too much too soon.  But with only three working weeks left in the year, I'll need to know that my shoulder is okay.

The bills from my surgery have started coming in this week.  Let's just say I could have purchased a top of line racing bike or small car with the out of pocket cost for my procedure (which I screwed up, let's not forget that!).

Now that I've met that magic number (read annual out of pocket max), no more medical bills.  So if my shoulders not working, I want to have the option to have that 2nd surgery for free.

See I'm crazy, or the plan's crazy, or both, let's go with both.

Now I just need to find a bike.  Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment