Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Third Opinion

Since our United Healthcare 'out of pocket max' is reached for the year, I decided to go see yet another doc about my shoulder.  Fresh eyes couldn't hurt, not when it's free.  This guy made me feel a little better cuz he said the modified Weaver-Dunn procedure that I had has a high fail rate.  So maybe it's not all me.  But still, I'm sure it's mostly me.

Anyway, after taking about 6 x-rays and torquing my shoulder a bit he gave me his opinion.  My collar bone is stiff.  This is a good thing, if it stays stiff.  In my case it may be a bad thing.  When the collar bone loosens up, it may cause pain.  Because mine is so stiff I may not know if it will cause pain for up to a year.  This doesn't help in deciding whether to have surgery in the next two months.

His advice:

1. Schedule surgery for December, just to 'save the date.'  Love that, sounds so romantic! 

2.  At the end of November go out and push your shoulder as much as you can and see if it bother you.  Then decide.

Awesome!  See my crazy idea isn't so crazy.  Apparently it's medically sound. 

This new doc was recommended to me by a friend.  Actually this doc has fixed up about a dozen of my mountain biking friends.  Wish I got his name when I had the accident.  Oh well.

I'm feeling good that I got the green light to go out and ride in a month or so.  And I've lined up a great bike to borrow.  Just 4.5 weeks to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment